Monday, September 24, 2007

Being Mom

You know there are days that you wonder. Why am I doing this?
Today was one of those days. Once again doing dishes, cleaning house, getting kids ready for school, feeding, changing, yadda yadda yadda. On these days I do wonder why I do this. I don't enjoy cleaning, or doing the dishes. I don't enjoy being a housewife. I despise it.

But I do love being mom.

When did housewife and mom become interchangeable? Maybe they didn't, but in my world it sure seems like one means the other. I can see why moms can get postpartum depression. This gets crazy and very unenjoyable. Most of all overwhelming.

I want to be able to enjoy my baby and my kids without worrying about the state of my house, laundry, or wether or not dinner is going to be ready any time soon. I hate feeling like I need to stick to a schedule so things get done..and then there is no me time for you. Because the moment you might get it, you feel guilty for all the things that aren't done, that you should have done...why does the cycle never end?

Is it cause we are moms? or women? I don't know. But somedays, I want to just be mom, and not the maid....

1 comments:

Misty said...

Hallie, there's a quote I heard all the time when I was growing up: "Cleaning the house while the children are growing is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing." And while I know it's easier said than done...I've had to really focus on letting trivial things go and focusing on the boys. They will never be this age or at this stage again! That doesn't mean I can not do laundry, the dishes, or make dinner until the boys are grown up, but it does mean that the dust can wait, toilets can wait (or Adam can get tired of them and do them himself!) and wben my hubby asks me how I spent my day, I can use your title as my reply: "Today I was Being Mom."